What's Annual Field Exercise (AFX)? by CDTSGT Fang

Bivouacs By CDTCPL Tesoriero

Our Unit Bivouacs by CDTSGT Plasto

Annual Field Exercise (AFX) By CDTLCPL Hearn

Practical Field Training by CDTLCPL Gambi

I Love the Camps! by CDT Gregg

What's Annual Field Exercise (AFX)?

by CDTSGT Fang

Every year, 22Bn holds an AFX in which our unit participates in. As well as having a wide range of courses to learn new skills from, we also receive the opportunity to meet many new people from Sydney and other parts of NSW.

AFX puts cadets in a different environment with different jobs than they are used to in their home unit. From AFX, I learnt about the K-phone which is not normally used at any cadet bivs. I also gained a better grasp of First Aid, and how to treat injuries, when I completed the Rural First Aid Course. On my most recent AFX, I learnt leadership skills as I was introduced to a new type of command position as a Platoon Commander (I usually run the Q-Store).

As well as learning these valuble leadership and First Aid skills, I have also made many friends from AFX, which I still keep in contact with, over these last three years. It's refreshing meeting new people who have different perspectives. Overall, even in weeks before my Trial Exams, I still attend Tuesday evening parades because it's a fun and constructive place to be.

Bivouacs

By CDTCPL Tesoriero

Unit bivouacs are a great way to put all of the training you have learnt in a classroom environment and applying it out field. This is tested via activities such as navigational, ratel and first aid. These activities are challenging but rewarding, and are great fun. Personally, bivouacs are my favorite activity in cadets.

Our Unit Bivouacs

by CDTSGT Plasto

We have two locations we use for camps, one at Woy Woy and another at Jenolan. Annually, we attend three biv’s at the Woy Woy site and one at the Jenolan site. While on bivs, we participate in fieldcraft, navigation, survival, cam and concealment, radio communications and many, many other activities. The lessons learnt on these biv’s help immensely towards the future lives of all cadets. As an NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) my job is to ensure that all cadets under my command are safe, properly fed, clean and are on time to training exercises in the field. Cadets is an organisation run by young adults, for young adults, meaning that most of the running of activities is conducted by the cadet NCO’s with Officers (Adults) having supervisory role.

The only way to really experience the fun and excitement of a biv is to attend one, so come on over and give it a go!

Annual Field Exercise (AFX)

By CDTLCPL Hearn

During 2010, I attended my first AFX (Annual Field Exercise) at Singleton Army Training Area, and thought it was awesome!

During AFX I had many great times and met some great mates that I currently speak to regularly. AFX is an experience like no other, I spent time meeting people and talking about what cadets is like at their units and how they do things. Despite all the fantastic training we got taught such as RATEL, Patrolling and manning section bunkers I believe the best part of it was meeting people, because being with someone for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week gives you a bond that you can’t achieve with many others. By the end of the week it’s like you’ve known each other for years and you have a mate like no other, a mate who’s been with you that night when it was pitch black and had to set up your hootchie to sleep in and who was the one that sat with you at 2am listening to the dim white noise of the radio while eating cooked spam.

Mateship to me is one of the most important things to have whilst undergoing tasks at AFX, or any other cadet activity, mates i make at cadets and activities associated with it are mates for life.

Practical Field Training

by CDTLCPL Gambi

Cadets is a brilliant outlet for me, I am in year 12 so it is a fantastic way to have some fun in a different (and productive) way, learning new skills, meeting with friends in a different social group from school and tackling new and different challenges. I really enjoy the field work as this is where the main challenges are for most and it is an environment where we truly learn new skills and strengthen friendships.

I Love the Camps!

by CDT Gregg

Ever since I joined cadets in August 2009, it has given me so many opportunities that would never have been possible if I wasn’t a member of 206ACU. There are just so many things that I've loved doing.

In April of 2010 four 206 ACU cadets (including myself) attended a 22 Bn (a grouping of regional cadet units in the Northern Sydney area) camp. It was a 1-week camp at Somersby (on the central coast) with over 200 cadets, many of which I had never met. I went to this camp to meet new people, to do something productive with my holidays- rather than spend them on Facebook. Initially I was upset I wasn’t with anyone I knew but after the first team-building activity I realised that the other cadets were really nice. I got to do so many things, a definite highlight of this camp was when we got to build our own go-karts. We also learnt about watercraft and did first aid training. The week was amazing! I came away with so many new friends - I’m still in contact with most of them almost one year later.

One thing that makes 206 ACU so unique is the voluntary extra weekend activities. In late 2009, when I was still a recruit I got to go on Boating module-1 at Crosslands. Being relatively new to the unit, this allowed me to get to know the other members of the unit really well, as well as learning new skills that not only help me at cadets but out of cadets too. It was going on a camp like this that made me want to continue at cadets because I knew people better and I realised that the food we are given at cadets really isn’t bad, I also learnt the rewards of winning challenges.

By far the best opportunity that cadets has given to me was to do the Remote Area First Aid Course. I did this course during the annual field exercise (AFX) which is where over 2000 cadets gather at Singleton Army Base for a week ‘out bush’. I did the course with seven other cadets from 206. On this course I learnt so much about first aid that will help me for the rest of my life. Because of these skills, for weeks after the course I was boring my family with stories about it - there was just so many amazing memories. One thing about this course was that it was open to cadets from all over NSW, my first time on a course like this. I feel the some of the best skills I took away from this course was that despite being a cadet I was given so many opportunities to act as a section commander. I was making choices, ones that the Sergeants were accepting. After going home from this course with so many qualifications, I was sad I was so used to being with these guys for a 7-days, 24 hours a day. Being alone was odd.

The final thing I really love about cadets is the opportunities to represent cadets on a large scale. I was given the honour to carry the flag of the 1st Light Horse Regiment in the City of Sydney ANZAC day April 2010. I felt so proud as I marched down George Street in the front rank, with thousands of people watching and cheering for us. The memories of ANZAC day 2010 will stay with me forever, and if I was ever given this opportunity again I would accept it straight away. Another opportunity I was given was to go to Legacy Badge Day in September 2010. We sold badges for Legacy, a very good cause. Sure I lost my voice that day, but it was worth it to know we were helping the families of deceased veterans. Again, if I get this opportunity in 2011 I will accept it.

All up what I love about cadets is the so many opportunities it gives me, which I have listed above, the fact that without cadets I would be wasting my weekends on Facebook. Now I’m out, being active and I’m learning new things, meeting people, but most of all I’m doing things that my school doesn't offer.

That is why I love cadets so much!